Nikolaev Boris Viktorovich, Candidate of historical sciences, associate professor, sub-department of criminal law, Penza State University (40 Krasnaya street, Penza, Russia), firstname.lastname@example.org
Background. The Supreme Court of the United States is one of the most authoritative and influential higher judicial authorities in the modern world. The study of the formation mechanism of the legal and political content of activities of the American higher judicial body, which is especially important now, when the procedure for the appointment of the ninth trial continues, which may significantly change the balance of forces inside the Court. The purpose of the study is to investigate the legal framework and practice of appointing Supreme Court judges.
Materials and methods. The research goals were implemented by analyzing the materials of official statistics on nominee judges, the contents of the approval procedures by the Senate Committee and the Upper House as a whole; the materials of modern scientific research on the organization and activities of the US Supreme Court. The methodology included specific legal analysis, comparative legal analysis, historical analysis.
Results. The study has resulted in identification of the main tendencies of procedure development for the appointment of judges of the US Supreme Court, its stages, terms, techniques, formal and informal requirements for candidates, factors influencing the current process of appointment of the new judges of the Supreme Court.
Conclusions. A brief constitutional formula for the appointment of judges in the procedure for its implementation has been supplemented by a considerable number of formal and informal requirements for candidates. It has a tendency to increase the representation of different social groups (gender, religious, age, racial, national, social and economic) as a part of the acting Court. The current situation concerning the appointment of judges of the Supreme Court is complicated by the forthcoming elections and the possibility of delaying the procedure until the new President has entered the Office; the party and ideological confrontation between the Democratic President and the Republican majority at the Senate; the principal role of the new judges, which may significantly change the ideology and practice of the Court in a liberal direction.
US Supreme Court, constitutional law, separation of powers, the Senate, appointment procedure, judge
1. Rehnquist W. H. The Supreme Court. New York: Vintage books, 2002, 302 p.
2. Egorov S. A. Politicheskaya yurisprudentsiya v SShA [Political jurisprudence in USA]. Moscow: Nauka, 1989, 224 p.
3. Sergeeva S. L. Razvitie konstitutsionnogo sudebnogo pravotvorchestva v SShA: konets XIX – nachalo XXI vv.: avtoref. dis. kand. yurid. nauk: 12.00.01 [Development of constitunional judicial lawmaking in USA: late XIX – early XXI centuries: author’s abstract of dissertation to apply for the degree of the candidate of juridical sciences]. Kursk, 2012, 24 p.
4. Salomatin A. Yu. Verkhovnyy sud SShA: sudebnaya pravovaya politika ot Dzh. Dzheya do Dzh. Robertsa: monogr. [The US Supreme Court: judicial legal policy from J. Jay to J. Roberts: monograph]. Moscow: RIOR : INFRA-M, 2013, 138 p.
5. Safonov V. N. Verkhovnyy sud SShA: sotsial'nye prava i sotsial'noe zakonodatel'stvo (1900–1970-e gg. XX v.) [The US Supreme Court: social rights and social legisltation (1900–1970s)]. Kursk: Izd-vo ROSI, 2004, 204 p.
6. Goldobina Z. G. Aktivizm i originalizm v deyatel'nosti Verkhovnogo suda SShA i v amerikanskoy politiko-pravovoy doktrine: avtoref. dis. kand. yurid. nauk: 12.00.01 [Activism and originality of the US Supreme Court and the American political and legal doctrine: author’s abstract of dissertation to apply for the degree of the candidate of juridical sciences]. Ekaterinburg, 2007, 272 p.
7. Zhidkov O. A. Verkhovnyy sud SShA: pravo i politika [The US Supreme Court: law and policy]. Moscow: Nauka, 1985, 221 p.
8. Hogue H. B. Supreme Court Nominations Not Confirmed, 1789-present. Wash: Congressional research Service, 2010, 26 p.
9. Gilbert M. D. Michigan Law Review. 2014, vol. 112, pp. 575–625.
10. Burman J. M. Wyoming Law Review. 2013, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 189–214.
11. Shumilov V. M. Pravovaya sistema SShA [The US legal system]. Moscow: Mezhdunarodnye otnosheniya, 2006, 406 p.
12. Brenner H., Knake R. N. Temple Law Review. 2011, vol. 84, pp. 325–384.
13. Brennan-Marquez K. Utah Law Review. 2014, no. 1, pp. 131–186.
14. Gass N. Politico. 05/18/16.
15. Gass N. Politico. 09/23/2016.